<VV> HP 2 - No Corvair, just horsepower!

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Jun 8 12:45:48 EDT 2005

Were lots of Carters but GM didn't buy the wide neck "Daytona" version for
street cars, instead they used the narrow neck that could use the same air
cleaner as a 4GC and that limited them to 450-500 CFM

I have some 750 AFBs (choke and chokeless) "somewhere" in the garage (would
probably qualify for an achaeological dig) but none of the 1963 three
barrel "trap door" Pontiac NASCAR carbs that predated the Holley by several
years.

By 1970 most of the serious racers in B/P were running Quadrajets that were
nominally 750 cfm but usually more like 800 (could do some interesting
things with the primaries). However they still had some drop necessary to
act as a "poorly controlled leak".

I could usually stay with them on the straights with the modified FI
possibly due to better air flow through the big plenium and the straight
runners and a little because I was getting nozzles from Detroit Diesel that
were rejected for "too high flow" (one of the advantages of a GMI student.

Padgett

ps maybe the Jags of my yout but have always preferred the sound of a six,
ran a B/P vette because at the time and place, it was the cheapest car I
could race. Are trombones still available ?