<VV> Update of Battery Problem...

bjornyesterday bjornyesterday at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 14:41:52 EDT 2005

List Members,

First, Thanks to all who responded.  I sent the first message late
Tuesday, about 11:30 pm, and when I checked my email early this am,
there were lots of answers.  This is a GREAT LIST!

Now for the update:  This is a stock '67 Monza... no computers, no CD
player, no extra AM-FM radio-tape player, no light bulbs that stay
on, there is a clock... but it doesn't work.  Last night my wife
said:  Why don't you unplug the voltage regulator and see if the
battery drains overnight.  Wait a minute... she ain't the mechanic in
the family... that is supposed to be my job.  But, OK, I'll do it.
So this morning I checked the battery and it was fine.  Then I put
the plug back into the voltage regulator and I could see the voltage
drop with my digital meter.  So, I guess the trouble is in the
voltage regulator or the alternator.  Any thoughts from this group?

When the engine is running the meter shows about 14.5 volts at the
battery.  That indicates that the charging function of the alternator
and voltage regulator is working OK.  Is it possible for it to work
while the engine is running... and be broken somehow to allow the
battery to drain when the engine is off?

By the way... My wife has been promoted to Master Mechanic... I have
retained my position as GFU.

With kindest regards,
Andy Anderson

The road to a friend's house is never long.