<VV> Re: HV carbs

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Jun 8 18:28:12 EDT 2005

Harry,
       Well, ALMOST the same, but not exactly.  The Carter YHs used on the
early 6 cyl Corvettes and some straight 6 cyl Nashes (remember them?) had vacuum
advance ports drilled and tapped.  The YHs used on the turbo Corvairs did NOT
include these handy ports and so make it more difficult (but not impossible)
to add vacuum ignition advance to turbo Vairs.  However, you could simply
switch the Vette/Nash YH throttle body section with a Corvair turbo YH throttle
body (as I did) add a NA Corvair distributor advance "pot" and then have your
turbo Corvair with vacuum advance.  This improves both part throttle response as
well as highway cruising gas mileage since you no longer have a CONSTANT
ignition timing from idle to 4000 rpm (assuming no boost) as the factory intended.
 But don't forget to provide SOME method of retarding timing when you develop
turbo boost.  See the Turbocharging chapter in the Corvair Basics Manual for
more details.
       But you know all this already, don't you Harry?
       Regards,
       Frank "likes variable timing" Burkhard