<VV> Another Brake Question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Wed Jun 8 22:51:06 EDT 2005

I've seen no answer to this question by Wednesday, so here goes:

All I can think of (and I'm straining my imagination) is that your shoes are
not accurately arced to the drums. This is common enough, and there are
various ways of fixing this INCLUDING just continuing to drive. EVENTUALLY,
they will arc themselves, if you can stand to wait for what may turn out a
long process.
     And I HAVE thought of something else. You mention new front drums. New
drums are typically supplied with a preservative film on the surface the
shoes bear on. Did you clean this surface (with alcohol) before installing
new drums? If you didn't, it's too late - either grin and bear it and see if
it goes away, or get new front shoes. By the way, you should clean turned
drums in a similar manner, but it might not be necessary in every case.
     You don't mention replacing the springs in your brakes. If this problem
continues (to concern you), consider replacing all the springs. The springs
are NOT hard to find (vendors) nor are they expensive. As for how hard they
are to put on, well, you already know that.
     If you pull your rear drums, measure them for: (a) diameter over 9.56
inches; (b) runout over specification; and (c) taper. You can get a gauge
designed for this purpose from the auto supply or (I expect) our vendors. It
is not expensive.
     Some Corvairs came with finned drums. Not to worry if the drums are
Corvair.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C