<VV> Exhaust manifold question

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Thu Jun 9 10:11:06 EDT 2005

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/8/2005 7:17:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> jwcorvair at aol.com writes:
>

>>I always replace the original studs with stainless steel studs. The vendors
>>sell kits for this. I find it much easier to maintain the exhaust if the
>>studs on the manifold are good.

> *************
> Good idea!  Another TIP!!!
>
> Do NOT use Stainless NUTS on the Stainless studs.......Iron / SS will NOT
> gall!
>
> This is especially useful in applications exposed to the elements with large
> temperature gradients! [ our exhaust systems]
>
> Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V
> 69 Monza Cpe., 66 Monza vert, 65 Crown v8 Cpe.
> Somewhere between Reno, NV and Coos Bay, Or.

SS nuts are unlikely to gall if NeverSeize or equivalent is used on the
stud threads first.  When the grease carrier evaporates due to heat, the
residual nickel and copper paste will keep the threads from galling.

Or, you can try monel nuts.  They won't corrode and won't care about the
temperature. You likely won't find them at the local hardware store
though, unlike SS nuts.

kirby