<VV> rusty bolts

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Jun 9 10:52:53 EDT 2005

At 08:31 AM 6/9/2005, you wrote:
>  I think there's a pretty good chance that if I
> > torque on these puppies they will break off.  Any suggestions on what to
> > do

One nice thing about Orlando is that rust (unless pre-existing) is usually
not an issue, have gotten used to just unscrewing things such as exhaust
manifolds without aids.

That said you have three choices
1) soak and heat until things loosen
2) nutcracker to remove nut, remove manifold and then apply (1) -
advantage: stud no longer under tension, you have access to the entry
point, and can grip where threads start.
3) use grinder to remove head and proceed as in (2) take care not to grind
manifold.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chancet

Note: removing the tension from the stud is very important because then
tapping with a hammer puts force directly on frozen threads and can wiggle.

Is also why I am looking for a LM convert with minimal rust to begin with.

Padgett