<VV> Rod Bearings

Brown, David BrownD at bsci.com
Sat Jun 11 15:10:49 EDT 2005

Thanks Matt,
I'm not sure of the clearances- a Corvair mechanic in the club is doing the
work.  I'll ask him.  As far as cranking the engine on "dry" starts, I
always do that since the carbs are usually dry as well.  I typically have 2
sets of 10 cranks (with a couple of minutes in between) before I give a
squirt of starting fluid in the primaries.  I always felt that the engine
would be well "pre-lubed" by doing it this way.  At the present time the
engine is still in the car (head & top cover off) & I have decided to just
replace the rod bearings & not split the case.  I just can't believe that
the mains would be as worn.  Another member in the club had a similar
problem at only 5,000 miles.  He also only replaced the rod bearings, but I
still wonder........

BTW, my spam problem had nothing to do w/VV.  I was just getting too much
mail.  200+ spams a day, + VV + personal & business.

Dave
Corvair Houston
69 Monza 140 cp.