<VV> Re: Rod bearing wear

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Mon Jun 13 14:59:06 EDT 2005

I think it's worth noting from the original report that THIS bearing (alone)
was subject to some very unusual, and possibly severe, hammering from the
triggering event, the throwing of the valve seat. When the seat is cocked in
the head, the valve cannot descend enough into it, and so the top of the
piston hammers on the valve, sometimes breaking the valve seat. I would
expect this to affect the rod bearing pretty quick. Maybe the crankshaft
journal, too.
     I've been driving for over a year now with two cylinders so affected.
The pistons are "dimpled." I left them that way after replacing the head. No
doubt, the bearings (at least those two) on my crankshaft are down to the
copper, too. Anyone interested in buying my car (my price is outrageous) ?

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C