<VV> Re: Nobody fixes anything...

Dave Morris BigD at DaveMorris.com
Mon Jun 13 17:26:20 EDT 2005

Nobody builds anything anymore either.  Compare a Radio Shack of the 1970's
with today's Radio Shack.  If your time is being billed at $40 an hour, why
would you want to spend 300 hours building a radio you can buy at Radio
Shack for $99.95 already tested?

Most people can't work on a modern car.  It's too complicated, requires
extensive training and test equipment.  Computers have gotten so
specialized that a network guru knows nothing about programming, a
programmer knows nothing about hardware, and a hardware technician knows
nothing about IP subnets.

I can't really complain too much.  I don't know how to build a barn or make
a candle or shoe a horse either.  Those used to be pretty common skills.

Extrapolating to the ultimate (absurd) conclusion, we'll just sit around
and watch the Paris Hiltons of the world entertain us, while "someone else"
builds everything, maintains everything, and we just eat, sleep, (insert
hobby here), and watch TV.  Maybe that's the point at which we all get
"beamed up" to the mother ship.  A Corvair piloted by Ralph Nader's
grandson, of course.

Dave Morris