<VV> Rough Running

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Mon Jun 13 18:07:01 EDT 2005

Speaking of vacuum leaks, I had a neat one the other day.  I am driving my
Spyder along enjoying the nice weather when it just ups and dies.  I
checked the fuel delivery.  I checked for spark at the plugs.  I did all
the normal stuff and everything seemed fine, but the car would not
start.  I decided either the Pertronix was weirded out or not all the plug
wires were seated ... so before giving up (humiliating prospect) and
calling a tow truck I decided to check the plug wires again ... and noticed
the vacuum line from the distributor to the manifold was off.  It was
cracked at the end so I cut off 1/4 inch, plugged it back on, and LO!  It
started right up ...

sometimes it is the simple things :-(

BTW -- I did notice that it had been intermittently running rough the last
few drives and I surmise that it was the crack in the hose.  Suppose I
ought to break down and but a new hose :-) ?

More important to your problem ... although a vacuum leak does not cause
flooding, it sure appeared like I had a flooding problem because I kept
trying to start the car which kept pumping gas without burning it ... and
the Spyder floods at the drop of a pin.  So it could be a vacuum leak
causing your problem, even though it does not cause the flooding (e.g. the
flooding could easily be a symptom of a vacuum leak).

At 01:39 PM 6/13/2005, you wrote:
>Vacuum leaks don't cause flooding (or drips). They cause a too-lean
>condition. I think you may have a choke/idle problem. Does the problem vary
>at all in connecting with whether the engine in cold or at operating
>temperature?
>
>Joe Potts
>Miami, Florida USA
>1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html