<VV> A question about engine noises...

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Jun 15 12:56:27 EDT 2005

At 05:33 hours 06/15/2005, bjornyesterday wrote:
>List Members,
>
>Is it possible to take the fan belt off and start a Corvair engine?

Sure.

>Strange engine noises could be detected without the noise of the fan,
>idler pulley, and generator/alternator.

This is pretty much policy for troubleshooting strange noises.

>How long could one run an
>engine without the belt before doing damage?

It takes a couple of minutes of idle for a Vair engine, even without the
belt, to reach normal operating temps...  cylinder heads and cylinders, NOT
oil temps, which will still at this point be relatively low.    About
another minute or two past that (still idling) and it will begin to
overheat the heads and oil temps will start to rise.   Another minute or
two past that, if idling, and it will usually  "protect itself" and shut
off because of fuel metering problems, usually over-rich, caused by fuel
boiling over in the carbs caused by the overheated heads, flooding the
engine.   Even at this point it's not likely that any real damage to the
engine has resulted, but I'd not wanna press my luck.    Overheating
cylinder heads is what helps loosen seats.

I would NOT depend on this little self-preservation response from the
engine to keep you from cooking something.    A couple of minutes with the
fan belt off is plenty of running time to troubleshoot odd noises.   And of
course if that little red TEMP lite on the dash cluster should  pop on,
shut it off NOW.   (don't confuse the ALT or GEN light with the TEMP light)

I've seen people who dragraced Corvairs simply remove the fan belt before
the "money run" so as to reclaim the ~15 HP it takes to spin the fan at
5500 rpm or thereabouts, and that's flat out down a dragstrip and the quick
trip back to the pits, no fan belt.

There are other dragrace engines (water pumpers) which use no cooling at
all, block cooling passages filled with concrete to help stiffen the
crankcase.   Ten seconds of wide open throttle isn't long enough to
overheat anything, and half the time these engines aren't fully up to temp
when the car is staged at the lights anyway.

Don't be afraid of damaging anything by idling the engine with no fan belt
as long as you don't leave it running that way and go have lunch.

tony..