<VV> sans-a-belt

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Jun 16 09:27:55 EDT 2005

At 02:03 AM 6/16/2005, you wrote:
>Do you remember at a Vair Fair about 20 years ago Steve Hinton ran a '60
>engine wide open throttle? I forget if the belt was left off to start or
>fell off during the run, but the engine never  stopped  running.

Remember all of the ads showing an engine running on a stand with no oil
pan and touting a miracle lube ?
With no load on an engine, it will run for quite a while even at a high
idle just on residual because the energy required to just spin an engine is
so low which means very low heat generation from combusion. At idle it does
not take much air flow to cool as long as there is some, on a cool day
convection alone is almost enough particularly if the lower shroud is off.
Outside Air Temperature (OAT) makes a big difference.

All of that said, once I find the right car I will be installing some
obvious warning system, probably a flasher of some sort since our eyes are
designed to detect movement. Not a buzzer since am hearing impaired.

Padgett