<VV> Cold Starting with Ethanol?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Jun 17 17:01:33 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/16/05 10:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CorvairEd at aol.com writes:

> The
> one problem you will nave with alcohol is it wants to vaporize more easily
> than gasoline thus has of a more tendency to vapor lock.

Ed,
       I beg to differ.  According to page 67 of "High-Performance Automotive
Fuels & Fluids", "...alcohol's low vapor pressure (4.6 psi for methanol and
2.3 psi for ethanol vs. 8 to 15 for gasoline) produces hard starting in cold
weather."  This is the reason why alcohol fueled cars designed to be run in
winter have generally had a maximum of 85% alcohol with 15% gasoline fueling to
provide enough combustible vapor from the gasoline so they can start in cold
winters.
       Frank "nitpicking" Burkhard