<VV> engine failure

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Jun 17 19:09:26 EDT 2005

> > I was only able to drive my 3G
> > rebuilt 110 for thirty miles before I lost the #3 rod bearing which
> > proceeded to take out the rest of the new rod and main bearings, score
> > the crank (which sent iron shards throughout the engine) and the #3
> > rod beyond saving, and score the cylinders, pistons and rings.  All of
> > this occurred without a single dash light even flickering and while
> > the belt was intact and the blower functioning.

Used to hear of this a lot in engines that had not been properly cleaned
out following machine work. Have seen a long pipe cleaner of grit come out
of the oil passages of a newly turned crank (and that goes straight to the
bearing. Does not pass through filter).

Personally, I don't like to turn a crank since the tuftriding is only a few
thousandths deep. Last engine I built had the crank polished and installed
.001" undersize bearings after going through a pack of pipe cleaners. No
problems.

Padgett