<VV> body advice (anecdotes and an opinion)

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sat Jun 18 17:19:16 EDT 2005

Ron wrote:

> Alan you are right. If the body man is good with metal, the amount of
> plastic filler used is measured in mil thickness and not fractions of an
> inch.

Hear, hear!

> You would be amazed at some of the repairs that come into Richard's
> shop to be done "right this time" He had a convertible from Texas in a few
> weeks ago with four lapped pieces of metal welded on a dog leg, beat
> inward
> with a large hammer, and about a gallon of bondo smeared over the top.

I am working on just such a car at the moment. It was badly 'bodged' by a
dreadful welder about 5 years ago, and since then the owner has been so
depressed that he just abandoned the car. We have done the work properly,
but it would have cost him a fraction of the amount, and saved us a huge
amount of time, if he had had the job done properly in the first place!

Cheers

Alan