<VV> Still More on E-85 / Driving while inhaling (humor?)

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 19 00:22:01 EDT 2005

Now this is an idea that should help reestablish the art of "moonshining"
!!! <GGG>
You could always add a little "flavor" to your favorite ride before going
to a cruise-in...
"Hey that smells like "FrankieTurbo" .........he always adds a little
"WildBird" to his
Corvair....................!!! <GGG>

FrontMan
////////////////////////////////////////
At 04:17 PM 6/18/05 -0400, you wrote:
>snippero
>
>Ron and V Vers,
>        The current issue of Popular Science reports that Saab (now owned by
>GM) is planning on importing a model into the USA that will operate on
>anywhere
>from 100% gasoline all the way down to 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol (called
>E-85 fuel).  The car includes a sensor that detects the actual composition of
>the fuel flowing to the injectors and enables the computer to compensate by
>changing the operating parameters of the engine (like injector open duration,
>ignition timing, et al.)  However, I doubt if it can change the
>compression ratio
>of the engine to take advantage of ethanol's high octane rating (about 99
>(R+M)/2 basis).
>        But this clever concept could enable E-85 cars to be phased in
>gradually since they can start running on straight gasoline and change
>gradually over
>towards E-85 as that fuel becomes more available and hopefully cheaper.  You
>could even fill up on straight gasoline one week and E-85 the next week and
>the car's computer would compensate.

>   snippero

>       would it make more long term sense instead to divert
>some of this money to subsidizing our own farmers (mostly US citizens) and
>our own US ethanol producers?  I'd rather have my tax $ go to Joe Cornfield
>rather than Mohamed Osama.
>        Even if we just STARTED doing this, I'll bet the world price of
>petroleum would drop like a shot toward at least HALF of the $50+ that it
>is now.
>Nothing reduces price like competition.
>        Frank "ain't new technology grand?" Burkhard

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman
http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/