<VV> Re: HARD LUCK TROPHY

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 16:02:51 EDT 2005

Tim,
       IMHO this is the reason why EVERY Corvair needs a cylinder head temp
gauge.  When the harmonic balancer on our 95 hp Monza separated one day while
we were shopping (thereby immobilizing the fan), Jim and I managed to drive the
car 7 miles home without damage by stopping every 1-1/2 miles when the
aftermarket temp gauge went from the normal 350 deg.F up to 450 deg.F  Of course we
had the heating fan on and the weather was mildly cool and we had to wait for
the temp to come down before we restarted the car every time.  We also had a
BIG battery that could handle the numerous restarts and heater operation
without being recharged by the alternator.
       In a Corvair a BIG battery is like CHARITY since it will cover a
multitude of sins.
       Frank "metaphorically" Burkhard