<VV> No Fan Belt, Follow-up

Brown, David BrownD at bsci.com
Sun Jun 19 16:32:52 EDT 2005

As promised last week, here is the report on the engine (low mileage
102hp) we tore down at our club meeting on Friday that had been
"toasted" by running without a belt for an undetermined amount of time
on the freeway.  As a reference, "a lot of smoke" was seen coming out
the rear & was the clue that there was a problem.  30 minutes after
stopping the car, the engine would turn over easily, but was not
generating any compression.

Moving ahead to club meeting:
After pulling off the valve covers & top cover, there was a noticeable
stench of burnt oil.  The bearings looked OK.  The heads "appeared" OK,
but are likely warped.  The cylinders also appeared OK, but will need to
be checked to see if they are out of round.  The pistons & rings looked
good as well.  It was noted that steel head gaskets were used & likely
did not hold up as well as copper would have.  There was some
speculation that the engine might not have lost compression had copper
been used instead of steel.  Other than that everything appeared normal.

David Brown
Corvair Houston