<VV> sans-a-belt

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jun 19 20:01:05 EDT 2005

> > this years hard luck trophy at the recall in baldwinsville ,was made from
> > parts from a  nice 110hp engine that was run "about a mile" after the
> lights
> > came  on from a belt coming off. the top came off a piston and trashed
> the head
> > and the plug.

There is a BIG difference between running an engine without load (even at
elevated RPM) and driving. A lot more gas is exchanged for BTUs and natural
convection capability is exceeded quickly.

That said modern cars derive plenty of cooling with electric fans I have
found it difficult to overheat any of our 3800s as long as the low fan is
on even in central Florida (have 180F thermostats and reprogrammed the turn
on/off points). The nice thing is that with an electric fan, the airflow is
constant so no overtemp at idle. The question is - is that enough for high
rpm cruising ? What do you do with the fan belt ?

Padgett