<VV> Engines, torque, and bog

John Dozsa jdozsa at carr.org
Sun Jun 19 20:23:40 EDT 2005

Padgett <pp2 at 6007.us> wrote:

> Lot depends on how it is cammed how much power you will have and the carbs
> whether it will bog. Corvair is a relatively short stroke engine so is not
> going to be a torque engine but that does not mean it cannot pull strongly
> from low rpm. Consider the 2.8 in a Fiero (about the same weight as a
> Corvair believe it or not). 89x76 mm. 164 Corvair is 87x75mm not a whole
> lot of difference. Both around 8.5:1 compression.
>
> Fiero 2.8 with manual trans & good valve springs will pull smoothly from
> 1500 rpm to 5500. Is a function of FI with port injection and cam. (I
> *really* do not like TBI).
>
> Not certain over 30 mpg would be as easy with a Corvair as a Fiero, is a
> drag issue, but should be able to get close.

SNIP

> So while things like VVT are clearly beyond the scope of a Corvair, digital
> FI from an 80's GM car (would grab from a 2.8 Fiero for wiring and computer
> location) is very possible (and may even be cheap). Surely someone has been
> working in this area. Heck I have a couple of 3800 manifolds with rails and
> injectors sitting in the back garage but may be a bit of overkill.
>
> Anyone out there tried it ?
>
> Padgett

I've got two Corvair FI projects in the mill.  The first is a bolt on
TBI 140HP system using a custom electronics hardware and software
version of Megasquirt.  It will have dual narrow band O2 sensors, left
and right bank injection with four TI units.  The secondary TI injectors
will be electronically progressively timed.

The second project will use 2.8 Fire port injectors on modified Corvair
heads.  Again a custom hardware and software version of Megasquirt will
be used.  The major effort in both projects mesh well with my primary
interest, electronics and programing.  Both are much different projects
from using the typical OEM ECM with re-programmed tables adapted to a
similar engine. All the hard stuff is electronics and embedded processor
software code development.

John Dozsa