<VV> Body advise/metal shrinking

John Dozsa jdozsa at carr.org
Mon Jun 20 10:59:54 EDT 2005

LonzoVair at aol.com wrote:

> Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:31:42 EDT
> From: LonzoVair at aol.com
> Subject: Re: <VV> Body advise/metal shrinking
> To: alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk, virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> Hey guys,
> When I was a kid (and to Smitty I reckon I still am) I can remember my
> Grandpa taking the hail dents out of the hood of my "step-Granny's" Buick... a big
> Electra 225, late 60s model... he took the propane torch and a block of dry
> ice, heated up the spot and rubbed the dry ice over it... it amazed the crap
> outta me, but I was probably only 7 if I was that old (that would put it in the
> early 1970s)... as for being perfect, well, I was just a kid, so I can't testify
> to the "perfectness" of Grandpa's result, but it was really cool to watch.

SNIP...

The modern way to shrink steel body metal is to use friction heat.  A
metal disk is attached to a disk grinder.  When the rotating disk is
applied to the body it heats the high spots hotter that the rest of the
metal.  Just what you want.  See an amateur video of the technique at:

<http://metalshapers.org/101/index.shtml>

Look for "Shrinking Disk".  Lots of other helpful metalworking
techniques there also.

John Dozsa