<VV> Cast removal/leg update/Cheryl won't admit what she did to my 64

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Mon Jun 20 22:48:41 EDT 2005

Well, I THOUGHT it was too good to be true.
I saw the Dr today... they took 2 x-rays and said "looking good, here's a Rx
for the brace, come back in 4 weeks.... I get to the brace place and they say
"lets take that cast off and have a look..." They look at the Rx and ask a
bunch of questions (all answered if they'd just read the 3 forms I filled
out!)... they then wrapped my leg in a plaster cast, let it set up and then removed
it... then stuck my old cast back on... they first told me I had to go out and
buy a shoe, since they'd never stocked a size bigger than 14 (I wear a 16)...
I asked if they could cut down one of my old work boots, and they said
"Sure!", so now I have to drive back to Louisville either tomorrow or wednesday... 60
miles one way... yahoo!
If I understand them, the brace will fit under my knee cap with a clam shell
effect, and the boot will be cut to a "regular" shoe height, but with some
kind of "shank" in or around the heel. The Dr said no more that 5 to 10 pounds
weight on the leg while in the brace... and it will be on the toe, not the
heel...
I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get it put on.
The real fun part will be showing up to my High School class reunion with
this thing... so much for a suit & tie... I think I'll do the blue jeans and
t-shirt deal, what I always wore to school.... I was never one to put up a front
for any of those nuts... heck, most of them had me go buy the beer for the
weekend parties since I was the biggest, hairiest thing in the county (those who
know me now just need to imagine sholder length hair and about 75-100 pounds
lighter... I haven't grown in height since I was 15)... and the real kicker that
might blow their minds is that I don't drink anymore... been quite a long
time...
Oh, the other thing that happened today... I stopped by Cheryl's work to pick
up her car, and leave her my 64 sedan to drive home... her car has a/c and
needed a bath, so I took care of that... I got back home (actually to church
where we're helping out with VBS this week) and I notice the left muffler is
hanging WAY LOW... it wasn't when I dropped it off...
"I never hit anything, I didn't hear it drag, it didn't make any noise!"...
"So, I reckon it just decided to let loose here in the church parking lot?"...
she replies "It looks that way!"
I swear!
Anyway, I gotta run her to work in the morning so I can run the girls to
their eye Dr appts, and then maybe get back here to get the gasket replaced and
wire up the hanger where it busted.
It's been sagging for a while, but not enough to move the muffler... she had
to have hit something... just what? I'll never know!
So here I sit, with the same old smelly cast on my leg, gonna end up with a
useless boot, and a Corvair that needs me to slide under it...
I hope you day was better.
;-)
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, someday will be a camper
1963 Greenbrier 4spd. that I really ought to sell
1964 700 sedan 95/pg, semi-daily driver status (needing a donut gasket)