<VV> RE: EM windshield gasket

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Jun 21 13:48:18 EDT 2005

At 03:46 hours 06/20/2005, CorvairEd at aol.com wrote:
>  Lonny.Clark at metro1.com writes:
>I have worn out my fingers trying to get the trim in far enough,
>and it just won't go. I like to think that I'm a fairly intelligent man,
>but I just can't seem to make this work.
>
>Lonny,
>Forget it, you'll never be able to get it to fit.  The best solution is to
>install the windshield without the trim.  Cut the L off the bottom of the
>flange
>that inserts into the slot in the seal and install the trim into the slot
>after the windshield is installed in the car and retain the trim with clear
>silicone sealer.  A professional windshield installer told me this after
>it was too
>late and we had the windshield already installed.  To remove the windshield
>now is too risky for breaking the windshield.  He told me that this is not
>exclusive to the Corvair but to many of the Classic cars out there that
>use this
>type of windshield gasket but the company is nor about to change their
>molds to
>fix it.  Too expensive when the trim can be modified and glued in so easily.

Agreed...  I've been through this twice already.    The trim simply will
NOT fit right... work your ass off and fiddle with it and you might get the
trim to kinda fit.   But it won't fit like the original.

The idea of cutting/trimming the "L" on the stainless is likely going to be
the easiest solution and what's gonna happen when I replace the windshield
in my own early ('60 4-door) sometime soon.     I didn't wanna suggest to
the last guy that he snip his stainless trim since it was damned near
perfect and he wanted it like the factory did it etc... but in MY case it's
no contest.   I'll trim my stainless and use RTV.

tony..