<VV> speed limits

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jun 21 18:08:43 EDT 2005

At 05:28 PM 6/21/2005, you wrote:
>The American roads that really frustrate me are the rural ones with
>completely pointless, but often enforced, 45 limits in the middle of
>nowhere.

Years ago, Road and Track magazine dubbed that portion of the US north of
Virginia and East of West Virginia as the "Slow Corner" and for good
reason, many of the speedlimits were quite low and some states had peculiar
rules about passing.

OTOH in states like Texas and Florida with "miles and miles of miles and
miles" - until recently there was a 110 mile stretch of the Florida
turnpike between St. Cloud and Ft. Pierce with one exit, Yeehaw Junction. -
big cars with big slow turning engines were popular since the natives could
point one end at the horizon and just open them up. For hours at a time.
Speed limit for years was "Reasonable and Proper".

So be careful about generalities about the US, a lot depends on where you
are standing when you say it.

Padgett