<VV> BMEP was octane

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jun 21 21:11:22 EDT 2005

>With lower octane fuel (say 87 from "regular"
>gas) the electronic control system would limit the opening of the throttle
>valve
>so that it was somewhat less then 100% and the resulting chamber charge would
>be less than maximum.
>        But how does the manifold vacuum come into this setup?

Good question. At WOT (or relatively small throttle openings from idle) a
normally aspirated engine has the manifold vaccuum go to zero and you get
maximum charge filling in the cyl. (see Brake Mean Effective Pressure).

Now generally we see a correlation between compression ratio and octane
requirement. Higher comperssion requires higher octane but what we are
really saying is that higher BMEP requires higher octane (for a given
chamber geometry - best is a spherical chamber with the spark in the
middle). So if we can limit the BMEP, we can also limit the octane
requirement because it is acting like a lower compression engine.

Now this is also going to require precise control of the ignition because
hi-test burns slower than regular (and has a higher flash point - see also
"flame propagation rate") but the whole idea is to have max chamber
pressure occur at about 7-10 degrees ATDC. *Everything* in engine controls
is a kludge to achieve this and is why for lower octane gas you retard the
spark (burns faster so same peak pressure point). Important point is that
if you retard the spark too much, the pressure peak occurs later and is not
as effective. So for the same load, you use more gas and temperatures go
up. When everything is in sync you use the least amount of gas for a given
load and mpg goes up while temps go down.

Can get into some really complicated math here since as the rpm goes up,
the BMEP goes down (usually, are some special cases) so the advance really
needs to go up with RPM but is not a linear relationship - why the fuel and
advance maps are three dimensional in modern cars.

Shortening things by a couple of hundred pages (see "The High Speed
Internal Combustion Engine" by Sir H. R. Ricardo), this is basically why if
you can control manifold vacuum so that it never drops to zero, you can run
a lower octane fuel. Is a much better control than just retarding the spark.

Padgett