<VV> Octane/Ping

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Wed Jun 22 19:34:50 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric S. Eberhard" <flash at vicspdi.com>

> Hmmm ... my 62 102hp with Judson and PG pings only at low rpm in high gear
> and moderate throttle.   Full throttle or anything in low gear is OK.  I
am
> running 13 degrees advance (vs 14 recommended) as the Judson instructions
> say to run stock advance.  However, I also live at 3500 feet and generally
> find all my cars 1 degree less to be about right.  I do know that if I
> retard the ignition a lot (8 degrees) it does not knock.  Affects
> performance considerably not in my favor .
> Any technical enlightenment/suggestions would help!  Thanks.
********
Hi ..   The following has been mentioned before, but a review might be
interesting.  At least here in Iowa, " Standard-Chevron etc. " stations have
pumps for 92 octane or so ... costs 10 per cent more, but what if it gave
you 10 percent more mileage?>???  ( and no knocking, pinging, .... ) ....
The way you get 10 per cent more might be partly from advancing your timing
another little bit, listening for pinging ....
I would resist trying such a trick as using a turbo advance-retard
distributor scheme, it doesn[t really work that well on the turbos ...
someone used the word " crutch" ... that's a pretty good .description ...

*********
Oh, then there are octane improvers that actually work ... I use 104 brand
occasionally, sometimes it takes just an ounce or two , sometimes the whole
can, depending on what comes out of the pump nozzle that tankful.