<VV> Bell housings

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 21:07:10 EDT 2005

Today I noticed a bell housing for sale on eBay.  I wondered how to tell an
early from a late?
I know the answer now but it still doesn't help on eBay!  Apparently the
same casting number is used for all years but the machining is different.
An early housing has a dimension from the engine mounting face to the seal
flange mounting face of .64.  A late housing is .58.  The late engine has
the seal .06 closer to the engine face.  Probably had something to do with
the slinger on early crankshafts.  So to use an early bell housing on a late
engine, put a .06 thick shim on the seal before pressing in place.  Then
check if the flywheel is rubbing on the inside of the housing as that is
different also.  If it rubs, grind some metal off the housing.  This is a
non-critical surface so flatness or finish is not important.
Clark Hartzel