<VV> Brake Drum Removal

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Jun 23 08:45:33 EDT 2005

>It seems that the  end of the axle has been flared out
>but that probably isn't the reason.

Been some time since I saw that but think what happens is that the hub
develops some corrosion and since that is a very close fit (GM wheels
register on the hub, not the lugs), it is enough to bind the drum. At least
after removal, once I cleaned up (emory cloth) and repainted the hub and
drum, the brake drum would slide on and off normally.

Old time method to loosen a stuck drum was to put the wheel on but with
loose lug nuts and roll the car back and forth a bit. Might also help to
clean/apply penetrating oil to the part of the hub you can reach.

The other factor I almost hesitate to mention is that if there is even a
slight ridge on the drum and the brake shoes have not been backed off, the
drum will feel like it is on a big spring.

Padgett