<VV> RE: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 5, Issue 187

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Thu Jun 23 13:30:11 EDT 2005

This is why my original observation was that a N/A engine with only 9:1
compression and a 3 1/2" bore should not require over 89 PON (and probably
87) to develop maximum power, Something I intend to prove once I find the
right car.
Also correct, given the technology and knowledge that we have gained in the

last 40 years.

One of the funniest things that I have observed in this community is that
many folks won't admit that the Corvair design wasn't minted perfectly when
it
was done 40-50 years ago and nor will they admit that it has become even
less
optimal as automotive technology has progressed.

It should be pretty simple to create the engine you imagine, and I suspect
that it has been done many times already.  (Deflash, squish, tumble,
recurve)
C. Nicol

As a "modern" comparison engine and not necessarily a max performance
example, the 2.7L V6 in my Santa Fe has 10:1 compression 170hp and runs with
no complaint on 87 octane (M+R/2) with not complaint.   Granted it is water
cooled and 4 valves per cylinder.  How many think with practical mods
(squish, deflash, etc.) we could get close to this?  I think for a 140 based
street engine with 9:1 compression and 160+ hp running on 87 octane might be
a reasonable target.  Comments?