l Fox <paulvair@yahoo.com> Subject: Re: <VV>Octane/Ping

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Thu Jun 23 18:14:43 EDT 2005

I like that -- all engines are air cooled :-)  However, in boats this is
not true, so all CAR engines are air cooled is more accurate!

At 02:51 PM 6/23/2005, Padgett wrote:

>>  It would be nice if you could get a Corvair to work at 9 to 1 on 87
>> octane. Maybe when the engine is fresh with no carbon build up. I think
>> the air cooling will keep you from the ideal temps for this.
>
>When you get down to it, all engines are air cooled, just some use water
>(coolant) as an intermediate step. The key is to be able to cool the
>engine below where you want it to run and then be able to stabilize it at
>the temperature you want. After all, a Harley Sportster 883 has about the
>same cyl size as the Corvair.
>
>At first glance the Corvair seems backwards, because at speed you have a
>high pressure area under the floorpan and a low pressure area over the
>rear deck. I realize that is how VW did it but the shape was entirely
>different.
>
>If going to push air down, I would think an air dam under the back seat
>and a rear spoiler would be useful to reverse the pressures.
>
>I also have to wonder just how much hp is used for the fan at a 70
>mph/3500 rpm cruise (either electrics of a CVT drive would allow constant
>fan flow: with a bit of reprogramming, my computer cars run 181-185F even
>in hot for Orlando weather.
>
>Just as an aside, are 3.08 gearsets considered valuable for anything ?
>Since a big hunk of the cooling issue is IHP losses, keeping the revs low
>can really help (odd thing is that back at GMI, people thought I was crazy
>promoting very steep axle ratios for low rpm cruise but as far as I was
>concerned it was a win-win situation. My test bed then was a 327-275 hp
>Camaro (because I had it) with a 4-speed and Rochester FI. using very tall
>tires (H78-15) to keep the revs down on Interstates. Could of gone furter
>but never found a B-W o/d to mate with a Saginaw 4-speed.
>
>Padgett
>Change your options:
>http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html