<VV> Re: octane and compression ratio nits

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 21:13:29 EDT 2005

> Burn rates are a function of both octane (agreed, not much but then we are
> really talking small changes in octane, only about a 6% range, more
> important is the elevated flash point) ................

I think modern discussions of my beloved internal combustion suggest combustion started with the spark plug is a complicated multi-part chemical process, and that fuels that display longer ignition delays qualify as high octane .
References are Kevin Cameron's "Sport bike performance" and Taylor's "Internal Combustion engine" from MIT Press