<VV> brake work, steering, and misc

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 23:39:19 EDT 2005

Well...after cleaning the garage, having a serious
relationship end, and not having anything else to do
in my life...I decided to start work on all of the
things that don't require me to spend the small
ammounts of money that I've been getting...so this is
what I've been up to.

my 65 Corsa is now completely group red (and the
scissor jack I'm using for a jackstand counts right?
<G> and I've been working on getting out all of the
stuff I have to replace on the underside...  So firt,
I removed the stabilizer bar, and removed the gas
tank.  the Stabilizer bar took me the better part of
an hour to remove (probably more like 45 minutes, I
think)  and instead of unscrewing the bolts, I broke
every single one of them, and finally got the thing
out.  The gas tank wasn't too hard to figure out, but
the j bolts also broke off instead of unscrewing.
That's okay, at least I can just get some nice new
bolts.  I did also notice that moist of the front
suspension bolts are completely rusted together
too...the cotter pins and everything else in there is
pretty much one piece that looks like it used to be
seperate pieces.

I also am in the process now of removing ALL of the
brakes...lines, wheel cylinders, master
cylinder...everything...and the brake hoses are
completely rusted to the wheel cylinder fittings, and
I've been spraying them with PB Blaster and Sea Foam
Penetrating oil, and nothing so far...I think they
really are just going to need to be cut off with a
grinder...if I can even fit one in there.  My buddy
Scott has a 22,000rpm 3 inch roto tool I think might
work well.

Now that I've investigated the brakes more, I'm glad
I'm replacing everything, because the lines are so
bad, that when you touch them or grab them, they break
right off.

I removed the tunnel cover too...that was hell...  I
had to rip out all of the screws, and pull the cover
right off...it was filled with rust from what came off
of the tunnel cover from sitting with water for so
long...sheets of rust came off the cover on the inside
side.

The gas line from front to back looks fairly good, but
for the price, I'm going to probably replace that
too...same with the brake line front to back.

I'm stocking up on parts now...i've got an ultimate
clutch kit(I think...coule be the stanrd kit...can't
quite remember) a new clutch cable, rebuilt carbs, new
u-joints, new distributor, coil...all those goodies

I still need all of the brake stuff, including a dual
MC kit, a harmonic Balancer, a Starter, alternator,
and to install all of the wiring harnesses.

Should be fun!

Ryan
65 Corsa Coupe
Group Red