<VV> Turbo Question

Bob & Kathy Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Fri Jun 24 20:26:18 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

My recently rebuilt 180 has about an hour on it and for the most part runs
well - once it is running.

The only problem is that it takes for ever to start.

>From cold, it can take 30-45 seconds with a fresh battery and a new starter
spinning it over quickly. From hot it starts  OK but still doesn't start as
quickly as I think it should.

The carb was rebuilt, the ignition is a 12 volt powered Pertronix (although
it was the same with the stock ignition) and the fuel pump is electric (same
symptoms with manual pump). I switched carbs to an older carb and no change
there.

I've checked for air leaks in all the normal places.

I started with a manual choke then switched to an electric choke and played
with it for hours. Right now, I've ensured that it is closed fairly hard
when cold.

It ALWAYS eventually starts but it ALWAYS takes a long time.

I can "help it" by pumping the gas but it's not something I'm not happy
doing.

I've been told this is normal and is caused by the leaning effect of the
long runners (fuel condensing on the tubes when cold). I know we are dealing
with 40 year old technology so I don't expect miracles but this doesn't feel
right at all.

Any ideas most appreciated!

Bob