<VV> Head Fins: How Smooth/Clean?

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Sat Jun 25 14:15:01 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/25/05 9:54:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pottsf at msn.com
writes:
My real question is, should I bother to polish them (make them smooth)?
Could/should the FINISH of the fins have any effect on their cooling
capacity, particularly after said fins have acquired a patina of dust and/or
(shudder) oil or grease? For the reasons described above, I need all the
efficiency I can get.
     If anyone has any actual experience to report from, or solid
thermodynamic theory, I'd love to hear about it, preferably in a POST to the
list. Thanks.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C
Not that my opinion will matter... But for everyone else...

The rough surface of the fin is sorta like having fins on the fins. It
provides a bit better cooling.

Why? More surface area exposed to cooling air.

Polishing the fins would defeat this.

IMVHO

Tim Abney