<VV>Pumping losses

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Jun 25 20:06:23 EDT 2005

>Don't you mean friction HP (FHP) and not IHP?   IHP makes no sense.

To model an engine you have to consider first all energy costs. Frictional
losses are just a part of the equation, you also have to consider the
energy it takes to just pump the air through the engine (what it takes to
just spin the engine, drawing air in, compressing it, and then pushing the
result out the exhaust. No combustion involved.) This is different from
friction.

The combination of the FHP (losses due to friction) and pumping losses I
learned as Internal HorsePower (IHP). There is some confusion here as some
modern references seem to use IHP to mean Indicated HorsePower which is a
theoretical maximum so I may be far out of date.

Is there a more current term for the combination ?

Padgett