<VV> Strong smell of raw gas inside of car

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 25 21:39:05 EDT 2005

Any ideas what could cause this.  I had never had this happen before:

I took my Corvair out for a shake down cruise after installing a new exhaust
system.  There were no exhaust leaks on this system, so that's not the
problem.  After driving the car a good ten miles, I made a quick sharp
right, almost 180 turn and after that the smell of raw gasoline was very
strong in the car.  The two front windows were down and the back windows
were up.  It was so bad, I stopped the car and checked to see if any of the
carbs where overflowing - a problem I recently had with a secondary.  There
was no gas smell and no sign of anything wrong in the engine compartment,
nor could I find any signs of gas leaking anywhere under the car.  I
continued to drive the car for probably another 10 miles and the smell
persisted, but not as strong as it did at first.  I stopped at one end of
the island and lowered the back windows and never noticed the smell again.

The gas in the tank was about half full when this started

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Corsa Member