<VV> Courtesy light hook up

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sat Jun 25 23:59:49 EDT 2005

<snip>I  could wire up a connector based system, but I would  really like to
know:
How is this conection supposed to be made?  <unsnip>

I haven't seen the answer to your question yet so..  The cars came  one way
or the other, mostly and there were different sub-harnesses for each  type.

The sub-harness for the dome lamp style gets constant power  (orange) from
the fuse box. Any door switch or the headlight switch  provides the ground, so
both door switches and the headlight switch are  connected together and then go
to the lamp (white wire). These switches ground  directly to the body, so
there's only the one wire connected to them.

The underdash style harness works exactly the same way except the wire
lengths and routing are set for TWO lamps mounted under the dash. In that  case the
right lamp (orange) goes to the left lamp, and then to the fuse box for
constant power.  The right switch (white) goes to the right lamp then to  the left
lamp, then to the left switch, then to the headlight  switch. Either door
switch can provide a ground and turn on the  lights or the headlight switch can
ground and turn on the  lights.

The exception to this is the EM accessory kit which can be added to a car
with or without a dome light.  In the accessory kit, each door switch will  only
turn-on the one, local, underdash lamp and does not turn on the dome  lamp.
In these kits, the white wire does not cross over from side to side and  the
orange wire that plugs into the fusebox has a pigtail that provides a place  to
plug in the existing dome lamp feed, if needed.
Craig Nicol