<VV>Fan HP

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jun 26 00:33:59 EDT 2005

>It's all in "Corvair Basics"!

Now that is the kind of answer I would expect from a Microsoft rep.
Entirely accurate but since I do not have a copy (yet, ordered several
books last week, plan to order more on Monday), useless.

Am in the process of building a library (and the prices seem quite
reasonable) but was hoping that someone would furnish me with three data
points: HP required at 2,000/3,000/4,000 engine rpm

BTW can see that just removing the lower shroud would not help much unless
something is done about the underbody pressure at speed, why I keep
mentioning an air dam.

Understand that the elecric fan concept has probably been beaten to death
but has anyone done a flow analysis of the engine compartment without the
fan ? Tried routing underbody air from the rear wheel area into the engine
compartment ?

Most modern cars are "bottom breathers" and use an air dam below the
radiator support to both route air to the radiator area and create a low
pressure area under the engine for extraction. Fans today are computer
controlled and shut off above 50ish  mph.

Think a cheap experiment would be to remove the centrifugal fan entirely
and mount a 90's 3800 radiator fan ($20 from a pick-a-part) to pull cooling
air from under the car and exhaust through a deck lid propped up an inch or
two. Has anyone ever tried that ?

A lot of things that are not only common but cheap today were impossible in
the 1960's.

Padgett