<VV> Gas smell: Overfill tip and leaking carb inlet nut tip

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 08:59:07 EDT 2005

Two comments
Tank: While your newer cars can seemingly be overfilled without  consequence,
you are actually risking the flooding of your car's charcoal  canister - not
a good thing. OTOH, your Corvair SHOULD be able to  accept a high fill without
a problem.  Perhaps your vent lines or tank is  leaking.  Sometimes older
tanks develop topside corrosion from internal  condensation and hidden vent line
leaks don't show up until the tank is very  full.

Leaking Carb nut:  Sometimes Corvair fuel lines are tightened so that
there's some spring tension in the fuel lines that can slightly  loosen the inlet
filter nut after a bit of driving. To avoid this issue,  when tightening the
fuel lines at the carb, rotate the fuel line slightly CCW  and then do the final
torquing of the fuel line nut. If you tighten the nut  following this tip,
there's a bit of CW tension in the fuel line that helps keep  the carb nut tight.
C. Nicol

<snip>As for the recent gas smell post. I've had two such  occurances, both
quite obvious. One thing I've learned..when filling a  Corvair....pretty
much when the pump shuts off..it's FULL. It's not like  every other
modern car I've owned or own..I can't squeeze in another buck or  so
worth..heck..I often can't even round 'er up to the  nearest
dollar...but I've tried...and of course I get gas all over the place  as
the filler overflows all over. When it's full..don't try to force  more
in! It's kinda like filling a gas CAN...not enough pipe, and places  for
air, to leave room to squeeze in a lot more!

Also, last week after  a nice cruise..I smelled gas.  Popped the engine
cover and low and  behold a fuel line has loosened a bit on the left
carb inlet. Actually..the  larger fitting that holds the filter in the
carb had loosened a bit....I  think it was forced to the "loosen"
direction by the line screwed into  it.  Loosened up the line..snugged
up the inlet, tightened up the line  again..and no more seepage. Pretty
obvious in this  case.<unsnip>