<VV> thermister (was why do manuals..)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 11:43:39 EDT 2005

Measure the resistance of the thermister to ground with the lead
disconnected.  At room temperature, you should see around 5000 ohms, give  or take a
couple of thousand ohms.  If the resistance is radically  different (say zero,
20,000, or 200 ohms) the thermister is bad, shorted, or has  a bad connection to
the head.  Once you verify that the thermister is  OK,   connect the gauge
wire to ground through a handy-dandy 100 ohm  resistor.  The gauge should real
nearly 600 degrees.  If it doesn't  read, check the gauge ground, power supply,
and wiring before condemning the  instrument.
C. Nicol

Here's Rad Davis insight page on thermistors:
_http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/Thermistor.html_ (http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/Thermistor.html)

<snip>I ran into a similar problem in tying to trouble shoot my  head
temperature sensor (known as manifold temperature gauge in the '65
service manual)  On page 12-10 it states, "The manifold temperature
gauge requires very little servicing other than testing for
malfunctioning, keeping the connections clean and tight and replacing
defective units."  How can you tell if one is defective (my engine is
in pieces under the car)?

Stephen  Upham<unsnip>