<VV>Fan HP

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Jun 26 13:25:58 EDT 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Padgett wrote:

> At 06:51 AM 6/26/2005, Bruce Schug wrote:
>>> BTW can see that just removing the lower shroud would not help much
>>> unless something is done about the underbody pressure at speed, why
>>> I keep mentioning an air dam.
>>
>> Wrong. Removing the lower shrouds will significantly lower both oil
>> temps and cylinder head temps. This has been proven over and over by
>> many Corvair owners.
>
> At low speeds I agree but expect that at high speed (why I said "at
> speed" and which could be as low as 50 mph) the effect will reverse.

You may expect this and theorize it, but in actuality it doesn't happen.

I have run tests with and without the lower shrouds running at highway
speeds and noting both cylinder head temps and oil temps. There is a
significant reduction in these temps with the lower shrouds removed.

I think you are correct in your theory that there is air under the car,
but apparently it's not as much as you theorize.

I have seen GT3 Corvairs with an underbody air dam somewhere under the
rear of the car, maybe around the transmission, I don't remember
exactly, which is meant to "spoil" this air flow. It does exist, but,
again, it is apparently not as significant as to completely disturb the
airflow coming from the fan.

Bruce

"The great misfortune is when theory outstrips practice."

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC
bwschug at charter.net