<VV> Gas smell in right turn

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Sun Jun 26 15:01:35 EDT 2005

Russ -- the hard right followed by smelling gasoline is a clue that it's
related to the gas tank.  I used to have the problem all the time and it
turned out to be the gas tank cap.  The one that came on the car was vented
-- a small hole (1/32" ?) through the center of the cap.  I replaced it
with one that had a check valve in the vent hole -- basically a thing that
looked like a loose rivet in the vent that closed when gas surged against
it from the inside -- and that cured the problem.

But, as others have suggested, check the rubber hose connection between the
tank and the filler lines.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo