<VV> Why Do Manuals...? My rantings

Frog Princezz media_diva at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 26 21:24:25 EDT 2005

As a computer person then you may recall a magazine called "PC NOVICE".  This was strictly a computer iliterate's computer mag.  It basically took the reader from kindergarten to computer user.  It assumed that a computer just fell out of the sky into the hands of a caveman and I must say I loved it.  I guess that's what I'm looking for in a car manual.  So what I'm getting from all of you is... " Hey Sista, It's cool, take it down a thousand yooou're doing fine.  You can't expect to perform brain surgery when you've just learned to use a knife!"  But until I get a chance to take a basic mechanics course is there a... dare I say... a manual for basic mechanics that you guys would give your 7 year old sons as a birthday gift so come summertime he can help work on the hotrod?  Like  "Everything you need to know about Cars" or "Cars for Dummies" or "A Chick's Guide to Auto Mechanics 101(How to win a guys heart and not get screwed at the auto shop)"

Alesia

"N. Joseph Potts" <pottsf at msn.com> wrote:
Well, I never wrote a car service manual (Craig Nicol of our list does
that), but I wrote manuals for computer software, and you may be sure that
we manual writers exert ourselves considerably trying to figure out (a) what
questions or needs our users might approach our manuals with; and (b) what
terminology ("headwords") such users might have in their minds as they seek
to access the information, which usually IS buried somewhere in all that
information in the manual, that seems useless because all you see it doing
is interfering with your access to the 1% of the contents that you happen to
need at any particular moment.
That said, you may find it helpful to consider (this may be the answer
to your question) that most car service manuals are written for PROFESSIONAL
mechanics in dealerships that SPECIALIZE in the marque in question (say,
Corvairs). The Corvair Shop Manual (the automotive manual on which I "cut my
teeth," and from which I learned much of what I know about automotive
terminology) is at least a semi-internal publication that, like other
service manuals, is made available to do-it-yourselfers and owners as
something of an afterthought.
Outfits like Brooklands, Haynes, and Bentley publish "aftermarket"
service manuals for specific marques and years that are ostensibly more for
owners, but I often find these manuals somewhat lacking in depth or
year-specific detail. Such manuals DID exist for Corvairs, and a few are
still carried by Corvair vendors, but for the most part, they have become
unobtainium - for good reason, I suspect.
You approach working on and fixing your Corvair hardware as a learning
process (most admirably). I'd suggest you approach the task of finding and
understanding the contents of your Corvair software (manuals, mostly) as a
learning process ALSO. You apply much patience to working with your Corvair
hardware. Carve off some of this patience and apply it to working with the
software, as well.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C