<VV> RE: Manuals

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Mon Jun 27 11:59:35 EDT 2005

Sounds like a good idea.  There probably is a "Cars for Dummies" type book
out there.  But the situation is compared to computers is a little
different.

Computers are current products, so there's a bigger market for a book.  The
automotive technology has evolved so that stuff a mechanically inclined
person could do with basic tools isn't the same as current production cars.
For example, I don't think any production car in the U.S. has a carburetor
anymore.  A modern for dummies book wouldn't be as useful for somebody
working on 60's vintage stuff.

When writing for dummies, sometimes it's hard to decide how dumb to start
at.  In my last training for a mechanically inclined career previous
experience of the students varied greatly.  At one end was an ex-navy
musician with performance and teaching experience.  At the other end of the
spectrum, I had mechanical engineering background, automotive, electronic,
and machinist hobbies.  So for one student just handling the basic tools
safely and effectively was a new challenge and the other just needed to
learn application of the tools and procedures to the particular product or
system.

If you're going to do it yourself, that's just life.  Depending on your
experience a basic mechanics course or a mentor is probably and excellent
idea.  There's always on-line here.  Any other vair enthusiasts in your
area?  Local club?

Steve

Message: 1