<VV> Body Transplant

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 27 18:56:18 EDT 2005

Joe,
Well, of course it's essentially free if you can resist the "As long as I'm
in here..." demon.  Which would make you a better man than I.

I've done it, and it's not all that much work if you're just swapping parts
from one car to the other.
When I did it to my '65 Monza convert, I had a wasted Corsa coupe as a
donor.  Swapped everything but the rear trailing arms and hubs and the
mechanisms inside the doors.  No, wait, I kept the e-brake cable and the
brake lines.  Maybe I kept the tail lights, but I had them off in the
process.  And, I kept the tele column, but I had to pull and rebuild it.
It's not all that much harder than stripping one for a really serious paint
job.

The choice boils down to doing simple mechanical work, which anybody can do
that would be silly enough to contemplate this, or doing/paying for the rust
repair bodywork, which takes considerable skill or money.

I've considered doing it again, as over the last 25 years the convert has
developed rocker panel cancer, which has metastasized to some other areas.
But, then I couldn't say, "Yeah, I've been driving this sucker for 25 years.
Restored it from junk."  Major bragging rights down the drain.  Pride
triumphs over intelligence again, I'm going to fix it.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Roger