<VV> Corvairs and Pilots

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 27 19:51:51 EDT 2005

Hi Bill...  Yes, one and the same.  I still "owe" the final installment on
the route 66 adventure.  Just been kind of crazy lately trying to get ready
for Iowa.  Won't make Portland.

A "few" Corvairs - sometimes I list them at the bottom of my posts.  One
will be for sale in the near future.

Dad was kind of a frustrated machinist in his time off work.  Seems like we
were always rebuilding SOMETHING..  A Model A, A Vespa scooter, A '36 Ford
(I spent hours on the milling machine making a windshield frame for that
one), A don't know the vintage (late 30s - early 40s?) - Ryan PT22 trainer
(it took a long hot summer to do the fabric wings).  This was an open (2)
cockpit job with a radial (Kinner) engine - 5 cylinders, - 4 exhausted
through a combined stack and one was on its own short stack.  Made a very
discernable sound if your ear was attuned to it.  My very first student
hours were in that plane.  There was no working communication device on
board, so you would have to throttle down and holler if you wanted to say
something to the other pilot.  It was a low wing tail dragger and you had to
zig zag down the taxi way in order to see ahead - the engine was blocking
the view straight ahead.  It was kind of like flying a kite from inside of
it, so no real problem to throttle down for a conversation.

He was probably gone from AA before your son got there.

I had applied (in '65) to Navy AND AirForce.  Wanted to learn "heavys" so I
could come out and get a job with an air line.  Fighter jets would have been
OK, too - just for the thrill.   I missed on the eye exam by one lens on one
eye.  Had guessed wrong because I could not see a difference on two of those
lenses.  They said 1/4 diopter (the smallest measurable amount) of
nearsightedness - left eye.  Anyway, had been putting off marriage because
cadets had to be single.  Went ahead with the wedding and got a call while
on honeymoon that I now qualify.  Well, "I'm married, now" - "That's OK,
too".  They were looking for heli pilots for Nam and I (and my brand new
bride) were NOT interested in that sort of duty.  I lost a couple (college
fraternity buddies - ROTC types) over there.  One day, 8 helicopters were
shot down the same day!

Oh...  I'm near Chicago.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 (temporarily X 2)
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140 (1/2 ownership)