Fwd: <VV> rebodied corvairs

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Jun 28 09:20:27 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/28/2005 9:05:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dgeier at myclearwave.net writes:

> I am planning on replacing a rusted out '65 turbo Corsa with a solid body.
> My question is what about the title and associated paper work?  My donor has
> all the proper paper work but the solid shell doesn't. Do you also switch
> all VIN tags and ID codes?  What happens if is ever sold?  These are some of
> my concerns.

I went through getting titles for abandoned cars twice--neither was easy.
Most if not all states have some sort of a mechanic's lien sale provision where
you advertise the car (put the last owner on notice that it is being sold) and
then, assuming he doesn't see the ad in the local newspaper and redeem it for
your storage costs, you take the proof of advertising and the appropriate
forms and fees to DMV.  My DMV also required a certified letter to the last owner
(they suggested that they didn't care if I didn't know who the prior owner
was--wink, wink--so I sent a letter to "John Doe" C/O general delivery at the
post office nearest to the location of the car).  The guys in the post office
had a bet going as to who would redeem it and when I showed up they wanted to
know if I was CIA or FBI.  I also checked all stolen car national databases.
Ultimately you end up with a clean title.  I don't believe in switching VINS
because the law states you have to be honest when selling the car--which forces
you into a dicey situation.  Is the solid body a Corsa too?

Bob Hall
Group Corvair