<VV> Re:Synthetic Blends

bowtieguy at cox.net bowtieguy at cox.net
Tue Jun 28 12:02:16 EDT 2005

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy at cox.net

I have better gas mileage with the straight synthetic versus the blend. 10% is the amount of the blend and it makes sense to go to the full synthetic. Check out Castrol Syntec 5W50. This covers the full season range for Corvairs. I run 10W30 in my '57 Belair now and 5W30 in my 6 cylinder Camry wagon. There are those that say you can go a whole year without a change. I go 6 months and put in 5W30 for winter storage.

We just drove the '57 1300 miles and used 2 quarts. The gas mileage was 13.1 over that span at 70 mph with the a/c running. I will check out my '64 Monza 'vert soon.

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy at cox.net