Fwd: <VV> rebodied corvairs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Jun 28 20:51:03 EDT 2005

At 08:42 hours 06/28/2005, kaczmarek at charter.net wrote:
>Folks
>
>Bob makes some excellent points.
>ALWAYS do your homework. If you are satisfied that the car isn't stolen,
>title services exist to help you. It costs, but you can end up with a
>clean title.
>
>Tony U and others can relate tales of dealing with the DMV trying to get a
>clear title. In some cases state legislators have to get involved to get
>the job done.

PS:

For sake of argument, it actually took a little help from a state
legislator (from another state) to help resolve a title issue with my '65
ragtop, many years ago before DMV  channels had "evolved" to allow an
untitled or out-of-state lost title issue to be more easily resolved.

And just recently, it took me several weeks to straighten out the title for
the red Lakewood which had some weird paper trails working against
it.   Previous owner had signed off on the title so as to sell the car to
someone else in 1971 (after the car had sat for two years) but the new
owner (who was to pay 50 bucks for the car) evidently never came back for
the car or whatever, so there it sat until the owner died a few years
ago... a buddy bought the car and then sold it to me "as is" and I ended up
with the correct original title...  only with the previous dead owner's
signature on the "seller" line and some other guy nobody ever heard of on
the "buyer" line.

It took a while to straighten THAT one out, along with two trips to one DMV
office and another trip outta town to the DMV offices where the deceased
owner had lived and where somebody still had some old records on file which
allowed relatives to be turned up etc who, after taking yet another road
trip, agreed to sign off on a bill of sale... FINALLY.    I now have a
valid title to the Lakewood that's correct and legal in every way.

Now, I also have another Lakewood that qualifies as a hand-me-down parts
car that's too good to part out and of course nobody knows what ever
happened to the title, last few people who owned it never saw a
title...  there's hope for it, however...  soon as I finish fiddling around
with the red Lakewood, gotta do a complete reseal yet, leaks oil like crazy
(original tube seals still in this one) and the carbs still need some
attention, bogs pretty bad when it's still cold and is still not that great
when warmed up, no biggie there but it keeps getting worse...  maybe this
weekend I'll redo the carbs "serious" and then start in on doing the tube
seals and such.    When I went through the carbs the first time the weather
was flaky and I rushed the job with just a basic cleanup and blowout of the
passages... I'll do them thoroughly this time.

When I finish working on the red one, THEN I can start worrying about what
to do about the paperwork for the white-over-blue one.    It first needs a
windshield, going to get one in a couple weeks, whereupon it can come out
of storage and I'll try to get it running, see what's there before I worry
about paperwork.

tony..