<VV> awl

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Jun 29 08:15:45 EDT 2005

>More and more OEMs are factory-filling and
>specifying full synthetic oil on their high performance engines.  This is
>typically Mobil 1, but that's probably at least partly because it is readily
>available.

Marketting. When trying to avoid gas guzzler taxes and the marketteers are
demanding the highest possible MPG, it makes a difference. Believe the EPA
got really mad at some in the 1970's when test cars showed up with
synthetics not provided on the line.

Now 1 mpg on a 20 mpg car over 5,000 miles is a 12 gallon difference. $24
today. Hadn't thought of it that way before but with the price difference
narrowing and gas going up, it probably makes sense (why am trying now) but
will probably go through the rest of my dino oil before switching.

Padgett